Friday 2 May 2014

Drawing Statement

For my drawing project I wanted to focus on people, specifically the face. Portraits are something I've never really done and from a purely fundamental level, is something I'd like to improve on. I didn't want to just draw faces and call it a day without doing something differently. I looked at a lot of portrait artists and illustrators and was influenced by their use of strong line in artists such as Oliver Kugler and Jesper Waldersten. When working I started the think that the portraits, which were all drawn from photographs I took, showed very subtle characteristics of the people they portray just with certain nuances. From this I wanted to go a little deeper and literally show who they are underneath and develop a skull and muscle structure for each portrait as a sort of medical examination. I decided to leave the hair on each portrait as a stylistic touch, it looks far more visually interesting that way I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment